The estimated world production (2020/2021) of pistachios is about 1 million tons , broken down as follows in percentage terms:
- United States 42,12%
- Turkey 26,34%
- Iran 16,88%
- China 7,13%
- Syria 6,17%
- Others 1,36%
After the Islamic Revolution in Iran, there was a period of political tension between the U.S. and Iran. As a result, the U.S. stopped importing pistachios from Iran, thus stimulating domestic growth in the sector.
Major consumer countries
China ranks first as the world’s largest pistachio-consuming nation, and consumption has increased by 182.4% in recent years . In second place is the United States: growth on the production side has led to the strengthening of local marketing, which in turn has stimulated increased consumption. In third place, on the other hand, we find Turkey.
Risks arising from food imports
In 2020, the countries that imported the largest quantities of pistachio were: China, Germany, Italy, India and Spain. In contrast to China, which also holds the record as the world’s largest consuming nation of pistachios, Germany, Italy, India and Spain do not figure among the largest consumers. This is because the top spots are occupied by the same countries that have dominance over pistachio production and therefore do not need to import more pistachios to meet domestic demand.
Not all exporting countries, however, meet the same food safety standards that the European Union imposes on its member states, as a result, food imports can present very serious health risks to consumers. The work of the control bodies is therefore of paramount importance.
In fact, in 2017, 2.925 alerts were triggered in the European Union for products that did not meet EU safety standards, according to the European Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF)
Regarding pistachios specifically: during 2022, in Italy for example, there were 33 reports of non-compliance regarding the import of these nuts. For instance: RASFF No. 2022.6641, dated 14/11/2022, notify the high presence of Aflatoxins in pistachios imported from the United States and Turkey.
The new COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) 2022/1370, published on August 5th 2022 and officially entered into force on January 1st 2023, declares: “Taking into account that ochratoxin A has been found in foods for which no maximum level has been established yet and which contribute to the human exposure to ochratoxin A, it is appropriate to set a maximum level also for these foods such as dried fruit other than dried vine fruit, certain liquorice products, dried herbs, certain ingredients for herbal infusions, certain oilseeds, pistachio nuts and cocoa powder.”
The maximum content of Ochratoxin A in pistachio is now set at 3ug/kg.
Test Veritas’ commitment
Test Veritas always stands by laboratories and is attentive to the needs of its customers, especially laboratories that want to implement this type of control.
In light of these import issues, in 2023 we decided to propose 2 proficiency tests with pistachios as matrix:
PT for the research of pesticides residues in pistachio
- Test Material: pistachio, 1 sample of 40g
- Analytes: the following molecules under investigation may be present: Acetamiprid, Imidacloprid, Thiamethoxam, Clothianidin. It is not necessary to research all of them. You will only receive an evaluation for the molecules that you actually researched.
- Round of October 2023
- For this PT, as for all those are part of Progetto Trieste – Pesticide Residues is possible to submit 2 set of results and thus evaluate with one subscribtion 2 laboratory technicians, or 2 different techniques.
- The price is only 231,00€.
PT for the research of Aflatoxins B/G in pistachio (code N3502)
- Test Material: pistachio, 1 sample of 55g
- Analytes: one or more of the following molecules may be present: Aflatoxin B1, B2, G1, G2 and/or total aflatoxins. It is not necessary to search for all of them. You will only receive an evaluation for the aflatoxins that you actually researched.
- The Test Material is incurred (naturally contaminated). The laboratories must prefer incurred Test Materials instead of spiked ones, because only with naturally contaminated samples the extractive capability will be evaluated.
- Round of June 2023
- For this PT, as for all those are part of Progetto Trieste – Mycotoxins is possible to submit 2 set of results and thus evaluate with one subscribtion 2 laboratory technicians, or 2 different techniques.
- The price is only 273,00€ for confirmatory methods and 199,00€ for participation with screening methods.
If you want to see more details about this or other PTs, such as the schedule, prices… go to this page to download the entire programme.
Here you can find the instruction on HOW TO ORDER.
For any further information, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on LinkedIn to get the last uptades! Stay tuned!
 Pistachio Kernel  Tree Nuts: World Markets and Trade  AMERICAN-GROWN PISTACHIO CONSUMPTION INCREASES GLOBALLY